Skip to main content

Tot School: Week 2

This weeks class was Music time. It was so much fun and the best part is the kids were all worn out by the end. Brooklyn is taking a great nap as I write. 

Here is how I set it up and what I did:
  1. Pick out 15-20 songs that the kids will love. Make sure a lot of them have actions the children can learn to do. I will list all the songs I picked below.
  2. E-mail parents and ask them to bring an empty plastic water bottle and some scarves or ribbons.
  3. Purchase and blow up one balloon for each child.
  4. Set up "What's in My Basket" game. I filled up one easter egg for each child with something different. I used coins, pasta, marshmallows, cereal, rice, beans, etc. Anything I could find in my kitchen that would make noise when you shook the egg.  Each child gets to come pick one egg, shake it, and guess what's inside. Depending on your age group you can have them count how many of the objects are inside the egg. The kids each loved having their own turn.
  5. Then start off with a fun action song to get the kids in the mood to move and sing. I started with "If You're Happy and You Know It" since I figured most kids would be familiar with that.
  6. After that I went through about 6-7 songs varying the activities for each song. We varied between hitting balloons, having the kids dance underneath the parachute (blanket) while it went up and down, doing the actions to the song, or shaking a musical instrument. I just gathered musical instruments my daughter has.  
  7. We then took a break and made our own musical instruments. We put pinto beans inside the water bottles. The kids really got to work on their fine motor skills and they loved having their moms help out. At the end we put on the caps and they had their own musical instrument.
  8. At this point we went through the rest of our songs (or as many as you can with the time left). We started off with a song that would allow us to use our new instruments. It was wonderful to watch them make music out of something they had just made.
  9. We ended with the song "Happy" by Pharell. The kids and moms all took scarves, balloons, and/or musical instruments and we just danced and went crazy to get any last bit of energy out. It was so much fun and the kids were laughing throughout the entire class. 
Tips:
  1. Don't be afraid to act goofy. The kids will feel comfortable if you are having fun and singing along. I definitely got a workout in dancing with the kids for 45 minutes. 
  2. Know the words to the songs you choose. I even tested some of them out on Brooklyn and picked the ones she responded best to.
Resources:
  1. Songs:
    1. Wheels on the bus
    2. Itsy Bitsy Spider
    3. Once There Was a Snowman
    4. Happy and You Know It
    5. Popcorn Popping
    6. Ring around the Rosie
    7. Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush
    8. Patty Cake
    9. Here Comes Thumbkin
    10. Old McDonald
    11. This Old Man
    12. I Know a Chicken
    13. Twinkle, Twinkle
    14. ABC's
    15. I'm a Little Teapot
    16. Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes
    17. Baby Shark
    18. Shake My Sillies Out
    19. The Animal Sounds Song
    20. Happy
  2. I found my favorite YouTube videos of the above songs and went to www.youtube-mp3.org and converted them in to MP3s. I put them in an order I liked and put them on my iPhone so I could easily play and pause as needed.
Here are some poorly taken pictures of our set up! I obviously need work on my photographer skills..ha If you have any questions about anything, please let me know! I'd be happy to help.

Ballon basket
 (You can also see my music bowl. I had a maraca, a toy, some balls, and then we used the bowl and a wooden spoon as a drum.) 
Music Making Supplies. If a kid didn't have a water bottle they could make a little drum like the square one sitting next to the bowl.
What's in my basket game. 
Blanket out so the kids know where to sit and all the toys lined up on the side for easy access. 
Some of the scarves we used to dance with!






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wise Men Still Seek Him Free Printable

UPDATE:  Hello Everyone! I have noticed that this post has been receiving a lot of traffic via pinterest and The Dating Divas Website. I wanted to welcome you all. I still do free printables for different seasons and holidays but no longer post them on my personal blog. We'd love it if you'd follow along on our design journey. You can find us on Facebook ! I also post all of my free printables here . Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy your holiday season. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ So the past couple of days I have really been thinking about how I can reflect the true meaning of Christmas in my home. We live in a small two bedroom apartment and there isn't much room to decorate. This morning I was watching the video Wise Men Still Seek Him   and felt inspired to create a printable for my home. It's a good reminder to not only seek Him this time of year but thr

Big News!

So this is big news for the Power family. I know many of you know a million other people who are currently pregnant but before you roll your eyes and skip over this post completely (ha), read on and hear a little bit about our story. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant. We just found out yesterday that we are expecting a baby girl. She is due to enter this world on January 3, 2012. So far she is healthy and growing strong. She is growing about a week ahead of schedule. Maybe she'll come early...like before the end of the year. Derek and I will celebrate our 3rd anniversary on the 16th of January...so not too long after our sweet girl is born. A little about us: Derek: One of the things I love most about Derek is how patiently he accepts trials in his life. He always has such a good atitude about what life has handed him. When he was 11 or 12 he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Then at age 19 he was diagnosed with Lymphoma Cancer.  He has now been in remission for 5

Please Tell Me...

Please tell me you guys have done this before because I just can't be the only one. This has happened twice to me now and I just feel ridiculous about it. I am shopping and Brooklyn is in her carseat sleeping and the diaper bag is in the main part of the cart. I am getting my groceries and just start putting stuff in around the carseat and diaper bag. I check out, get my bags, and head out to the car. I load the groceries in the car and then take Brooklyn out to put her in the car and I find stuff I haven't paid for. It slid underneath her carseat or the diaper bag and there it is. First time, it was pie crust and the second time it was shampoo. I try to check everywhere but something always seems to slip underneath the carseat and in my hurry I just miss it. I feel so dumb but at this point Brooklyn is buckled in and I am in a hurry to get her home. For those of you with small children you know how difficult it is to repack it all and get back in there when they could wa