Monday, September 30, 2013

On Moving: Day 1

So it's been a while since I've updated and I really don't like that. I have used this as a place to record the adventures of my family and recently we've had a lot of adventures. I want to catch up on what we've been up to since our move.

After going back and forth for a couple of weeks, Derek and I finally decided how we were going to take this giant move. We got a huge Penske truck (22 ft) and towed our car behind. Our goal in moving to Texas was to find a house and become first time home buyers. With that being the case we needed to look for somewhere temporary to stay. We decided to stay in the Extended Stay of America in Arlington because it was the best priced yet still so expensive. We thought we had everything figured out and off we went. Thanks to the help of my family and the movers we hired we were able to pack up the truck really quickly and still have room for Derek's broken scooter. He's not quite ready to say goodbye and is hoping to have time to fix it now that he's out of school.

Day 1:
Leaving was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Especially to say goodbye to my mom and family. We had spent so much time with them the last 4 months. I loved that they were able to spend so much time with Brooklyn and that they were able to watch her grow into a mobile baby with teeth. As soon as I said goodbye to my mom and we drove up the hill I just cried. Utah had been very good to us and for that reason I'll always cherish the time we spent there. On the way up the hill our truck starts to beep and lights start to flash. We weren't really sure what was happening and at the top of the hill the engine shut off. Derek thought it was because of the step incline but it made me nervous. Thankfully the rest of the day was pretty uneventful. With each stop we got faster at feeding Brooklyn, letting her play, filling up with gas, and using the restroom. We stopped about every 3 hours to feed her which made the day much longer but we were really enjoying it. We were all piled in the front of this truck and Brooklyn was sleeping great knowing that her mom and dad were right there next to her.

At one of our stops in Monticello, Ut (I think) we didn't look at the directions and as a result continued on the road we were on. ha It took us in a completely different direction but thankfully our iPhones had enough reception to reroute. By the time we figured it out it was best to just keep going and take a different route than to turn around. We went through the middle of nowhere and had to turn on to a street called Trading Post Lane. There was no one around and the road was so tiny. I was scared there for a minute but everything worked out. We were able to take a route that led us to the Four Corners where we stopped for a fun outing. Derek really wanted to go and I hadn't been since I was a child. Still not a lot there but it was a fun stop to get out and stretch our legs. While we were there we noticed that the trailer carrying the car had a flat tire. This was the beginning of all of our troubles. We found a gas station to fill it up and were able to make it to our first stop: Bloomfield, NM. That night they sent someone out to fix the trailer so that we would be good to go in the morning. We stayed at the Best Western there which was really nice and Brooklyn was so happy to be sleeping in her pack n play. She was ready for bed and ready to be out of her carseat after a long 11 hour day. Lets be honest...we were all grateful to be out.

We were lucky enough to see Kim, Addie, and Bennett the night before we left.
She also got to see Stephen and Allison  
It was a beautiful morning to drive through Southern Utah
We so badly wanted to stop at Arches but decided that we'd want to do it when we had more time. How cool is this though?
Four Corners! 

Still hasn't changed much since I was a kid
She loves her daddy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, you little girl is DARLING and she looks EXACTLY like YOU! :)